Th 5, 03/09/2020 | 10:46 SA
WIPO webinar on “Intellectual Property Offices as Innovation Agencies”
A modern IP office needs to be equipped to operate in an interconnected and complex international framework and open to cooperate with its stakeholders such as civil society, universities, and small and medium-sized enterprises...
The Online Video Conference (webinar), entitled “Intellectual Property Offices as Innovation Agencies” was organized by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in cooperation with the Singapore Cooperation Programme (SCP) and with the assistance of the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (IPOS) on 24 August, 2020. There were Mr. Peter Willimott, Senior Program Officer, WIPO Singapore Office, Singapore; Mr. Michal Svantner, Director, Department for Transition and Developed Countries (TDC), World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), Geneva; Mr. Simon Seow, Director, IP Policy Division, Ministry of Law, Singapore; Mr. Guy Pessach, Director, SMEs and Entrepreneurship Support Division (SESD), TDC, WIPO, Geneva; Mr. Alfred Radauer, Program Director, IMC University of Applied Sciences Krems, Austria; Ms. Manda Tay, Deputy Director, Strategic Planning & Policy Department, IPOS; Ms. Skye Reeve, Assistant Director, International Policy and Cooperation section, IP Australia, Australia; Dr. Hanusueli Stamm, Chief Economist, Legal and International Affairs, Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property, Bern and more than 60 representatives from IP stakeholders in the Asia-Pacific region attending the webinar. There were 4 representatives of IP Viet Nam attended the webinar live from Hanoi, Viet Nam.
IP has grown in importance as a vital enabler for trading in and engaging in the intangible economy – as a consequence, so has the role of the IP office.
The core function of an IP office is to administer the national IP system and assess applications for IP rights. However, the role of the IP office of the 21st century is changing. A modern IP office needs to be equipped to operate in an interconnected and complex international framework and open to cooperate with its stakeholders such as civil society, universities, and small and medium-sized enterprises.
Given that SMEs in particular, can find the IP system technical, legal and complex, new services developed by innovative IP offices are designed to demystify the IP system and make it more understandable and user-friendly to the business sector.
The webinar focused on the new services that are a vital component offered by a modern IP office in addition to and complementary to its core services. It brought together leading policy makers from national IP offices from Asia-Pacific countries, to discuss and exchange ideas on strategies to ensure IP offices move to become innovation agencies.
The main content of webinar covers the following topics:
Topic 1: The Role of the IP Office in the 21st Century
- The Innovation IP Office in terms of supporting Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs)
Topic 2: Transformation of the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (IPOS) to Strengthen the Innovation Ecosystem of Singapore
- The Road to the Change
Topic 3: Innovation as a Cornerstone of IP Australia Operations
- The Road to the Change
Topic 4: Micro, Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (MSMEs) and Intellectual Property
Speaker: Dr. Hanusueli Stamm, Chief Economist, Legal and International Affairs, Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property, Bern
Topic 5: The Way Forward: WIPO’s Role
- Importance of Supporting SMEs and Current Trends
Industrial Property Information Center (IPIC)
Tin mới nhất
- IP Viet Nam attended the Conference for Head of Intellectual Property Offices of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC), Mongolia and Iran - Session on the Project on Diagnostic of Resources and Management of IP Offices
- The talkshow "Intellectual property in the field of Services - Tourism - Hotels" at University of Economics - Danang University
- The celebrating program of Vietnam Law Day at Duy Tan University - Da Nang city: "Students with Intellectual Property rights"
- Geographical indication protection of “Hàm Yên” for orange
- Geographical indication protection of “Châu Thành Long An” for dragon fruit
Các tin khác
- Special Session of the ASEAN Working Group on Intellectual Property Cooperation
- Daren Tang of Singapore Appointed as WIPO Director General
- Viet Nam attended the Heads of Intellectual Property Office Conference (HIPOC) for Countries in South Asia, Southeast Asia, Iran (Islamic Republic of) and Mongolia
- IP Annual Report 2019
- Supports for intellectual property assets development